Carimate!

Another grand weekend in Carimate with the lads from ASLItalia!  Last time, I worked with newbies, of whom there are many at Carimate.  Carimate is a "gathering," not a tournament and new players feel more comfortable attending.  This is not necessarily because they intend to compete, but because they can get help as they play, ensure that they are playing correctly and see more experienced players correcting each other in a playful atmosphere.

In fact, Carimate is different from any other ASL gatherings I've been to in that there are many, many new players, including some very young players.  There were a pair (both, I think, named Frederico) who looked to be less than 14.  One was an ASLSK player, the other was playing some other game (Carimate is not confined to Le Joue Magnifique.)

I got in two games...both Shermans and Germans.  I played the Germans first and nearly won by crawling through a tunnel...
The second one was particularly satisfying as I got to take a number of shots on the 54+ column of the to-hit table.  Scratch that one off the bucket list.  I managed to pull off a victory as the Free French/Americans vs. Mario's Germans/Italians.  It looked like I would run away with it until my S-35's ran into a particularly accurate Italian tank destroyer (illegally place in a building, I might add...) but managed to pull it off after deciding that the Valentines needed to unbutton to cross the two board lengths.  Neat scenario.  I played half of an Objective Schmidt scenario before turning it over to Mario and heading for home through a two hour traffic jam in Switzerland.

There was another setup where two ASLSK players were facing off with a more experienced player as a referee.  The Carimate gathering is designed around collaboration, not competition.  This is a far less intimidating atmosphere where beginners feel more comfortable.
The coffee and food are great as well.  I wouldn't say ASL takes second place, but at mealtimes the rooms get locked and everyone goes off to have dinner or lunch together.  Most of the players speak fluent English, but at mealtime you are on your own--the Italian comes fast.  I do German, French and a little Russian and Spanish, but I am picking up some Italian.  (Because of my brain disease learning new languages is especially difficult.)

My wife and I like to do a little grocery shopping for things we just can't get in France--like Gorgonzola, Mozzarella and coffee.

Carimate is in between Lake Como and Milan.  (If you want to see the Last Supper, however, you have to be ready way ahead of time...tickets sell out to scalpers.)  The scenery is pretty amazing.

Castle Carimate is right around the corner.

Mario Aceto organizes the Carimate gathering twice a year, in winter and summer.  If you are interested, email me and I'll pass your request along, but unfortunately, Saturday in Carimate there were about 26 players--which seems to be a maximum for the space.  Next gathering is in early June.

I would strongly suggest getting in touch with Mario about doing something similar.  This is a great, friendly, un intimidating way to help the hobby grow.  Not every gathering needs to be played for a prize.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are SS bolts a Neo-Nazi Symbol?

Counter Values